Tuesday, April 21, 2009

How We Do What We Do


I've already posted about why we home school, so I guess I'll take some time and explain how we home school.


First, I don't believe there is any one right way to school at home. Every family is different and each has to determine what fit is best for them. Since we began this with Bethany many years ago, we have changed some things around a bit as the family dynamics have changed, but overall I think I have kept the same schooling style.


I am one of those moms who likes to follow a scope and sequence. I like to know what school kids are covering in a certain grade and I like to do the same. I guess in that respect I am not very daring!!! I like to be accountable in some sort of way!!!


Now, when it comes down to how I cover material and how long I spend on certain material, I like to mix things up a bit!! Cause that is how I roll!!!


For some subjects we may use a standard curriculum (math usually works this way) and for others I may plan learning activities that are way more exciting than text and workbooks. I'm sorry but workbooks can be down right boring!! They can serve a purpose, but for me, most of the time, they just scream "busy work".


As an example, we are currently studying insects and butterflies. We are using a zoology text but branch out with information from various websites and so forth. We will also visit two butterfly shows ( one this spring, one summer); plant a butterfly garden and collect insects and butterflies for a display (actually Bill and Anna do the collecting and the displaying).


This study will last a few months. Other topics we cover may last only one week or even a day. If Anna knows enough about a topic and becomes bored, we go on to something else.


Do we school every day during a typical school year? No. We cover some things before traditional school starts in August and some things after traditional schools end in June. I guess you could say we school all year. We most often take time off around her meets that are scheduled and try to do field trips or cover things that relate to the areas that we are traveling to.


The one subject Anna covers everyday is Bible. So, if we are field tripping it or gone all day for some other reason, Anna knows to get this done. Cause, I tell you, that book has the most important lessons she needs.




No comments:

Post a Comment